Many parents are familiar with chronic yeast overgrowth. I have nicknamed i the "yeast beast" in my house because it's often rears it's ugly head out of no where. Learning to manage fungal overgrowth is important and helpful to reducing symptoms.
First is it helpful to become familiar with the common symptoms of fungal overgrowth also called "candida". Some common symptoms are:
constipation, rashes, hyperactivity, stimming, self-limiting diets, congestion, thrush, and ear infections. We actually have a free symptoms worksheet to help you out because there are actually a lot more symptoms that can occur. This is it's such an annoying thing that parents want to avoid.
Most of us are familiar with a "yeast flare-up" which can happen for a variety of reasons but when parents hear that yeast might flare up with chelation, their apprehension to start chelation is completely understandable.
While this is very understandable it's important to know that fungal overgrowth is actually a symptom of other issues and it's common in mercury poisoning.
Thankfully there is a solution! While removing mercury does eventually lead to resolving this problem in the interim you do want to treat it to reduce symptoms.
You can safely and naturally manage fungal overgrowth and reduce or eliminate symptoms while you work on chelation. It does take time to learn to recognize what symptoms yeast causes for your child but these become clearer when you start treating yeast.
One important thing to remember is that probiotics are bacteria too, just good bacteria. Some of the natural antifungals are not selective enough to only kill bad bacteria so make sure probiotics are doses at least 4 hours away from antifungals.
Either way, remember to start only one thing at a time and go slow! Always raise slowly to avoid unpleasant die-off symptoms!
It does get better with adequate chelation. but it takes time. Yeast will become much easier to control with less anti-fungal and eventually it will go away entirely.
*for further information on treating natural fungal overgrowth see the Yeast Chapter in our second edition book.
Question: Can someone please explain what frequent low dose means and why it's important?
Answer: Frequent dose protocol is designed to chelate out toxic metals without making you sicker. The protocol maintains a steady blood level of chelator for a minimum amount of time to avoid more metals getting into the brain and nervous system.
Using infrequent dosing protocols doesn't do this and it actually causes many episodes of redistributing metals into the brain. The more times this happens the worse people seem to get. In some cases, permanent regressions have been reported with high dose IV chelation. This used to be known as a "DAN backfire" or "DMPS backfire" although it can happen with any chelator used infrequently.
Frequent dose was pioneered by Dr. Andrew Hall Cutler and is based on the premise of reducing redistribution and symptoms while still getting mercury out of you safely. While there are many detox protocols and products out there are issues with many of them.
Some don't use anything that is actually a chelator. It takes a sulfur-thiol molecule to bind to or grab onto metals and escorts them out of the body. In addition to that, most protocols don't use anything that crosses the blood brain barrier. If you don't get a chelator into the brain the mercury isn't going to come out. None of them are using half-life to maintain steady levels of chelators, if they use chelators at all.
In addition to respecting the half-life of chelators to maintain a steady level, this protocol also uses support supplements to nourish the body, protect against oxidative stress and make chelation more comfortable. High doses are never used which can cause a lot of symptoms. This is completely avoidable when Andy's dosing and timing recommendations are followed.
In our book we have outlined the protocol as it is done in children including supportive supplements and other working on treating naturally other issues caused by heavy metal exposure like yeast, adrenal fatigue, immune issues and dietary sensitivities.
Frequent low does is for all practical respecting the nature of chemistry so that you can safely recover from heavy metal poisoning.